wtorek, 15 lutego 2022

“I Always Have Three Weapons on Me”: 1981 Interview with William Burroughs

 

“I Always Have Three Weapons on Me”: 1981 Interview with William Burroughs by Alain Pacadis

Uncollected 1981 Interview with William Burroughs from Le Palace Magazine

This interview by Alain Pacadis appeared in French in Le Palace Magazine 5 (1981). An eBay seller very kindly provided a scan of it and RealityStudio translated it into English. It is not to be found in Burroughs Live: The Collected Interview of Wiliam S. Burroughs.


William Burroughs has impressed a generation of Americans with his warped universe: expeditions to Mexico in search of Yagé in the company of young boys who offer their bodies for a few dollars; decrepit hotel rooms; the invention of nonlinear writing, “the cut-up” with Brion Gysin, whom he met in Tangiers in an atmosphere reminiscent of the Thousand and One NightsSoft Machine and the Ticket That Exploded. Walking in circles in New York, Lexington Avenue, looking for a guy dressed in black. Burroughs was in Paris for two days and I met him at his old friend Gysin’s place.

Pacadis: Your first book Junkie has made a mark on young people.

Burroughs: Yet when it came out, everyone rejected it.

Pacadis: Then there was Naked Lunch which David Bowie would like into make a movie…

Burroughs: Yes, Brion wrote the screenplay, and David is very interested. I saw him in the play The Elephant Man. He is an extraordinary actor. I would like to see the film get made.

Pacadis: Then you traveled to Mexico, the Amazon, and Morocco…

Burroughs: Yes, that’s where I met Brion — in Tangier. There was an exhibition of the sketchbooks he made in hommage to Delacroix while traveling in the Sahara. I told him about my research into Yagé. He was very impressed and I stayed five years in Tangier.

Pacadis: You were there at the same time as the Rolling Stones.

Burroughs: Yes, I got to know Brian Jones when he was recording the pipe players of Jajouka but I didn’t talk much to the other Stones.

Pacadis: Then you lived in Paris with Brion Gysin.


Burroughs
: In the early 1960s, I lived in the hotel Gît-le-Coeur [the Beat Hotel]. I paid $26 a month for my room. There was a gas stove where I cooked up paregoric. It was the beginning of the beatnik movement. Now the same room is worth $26 a day.

Pacadis: What’s your next book?

Burroughs: My next book will be published in March [1981]. It will be the longest of all of them: 400 pages. Usually my books are about 200. It will be called: Such Is the Red Night. [sic — Cities of the Red Night] It’s a story about pirates in the 18th century. People will be confounded.

Pacadis: You wrote The Third Mind in collaboration with Brion Gysin, how did you work on this book?

Burroughs: We wrote a chapter each. Gradually the writing grew more fragmented. We realized that by dismembering a poem of Rimbaud we could arrive at another poem, different but just as beautiful. It was the “cut-up.” Then we cut up newspaper titles and parts of our own books in the same way, but it was a long time ago… We experimented with the cut-up from 1959 to 1965.

Pacadis: You are considered the greatest “gay” writer.

Burroughs: After being married for a long while to a woman, I turned to boys.

Pacadis: Do you like to stay with the same boy for a long time?

Burroughs: It ranges from one or two nights to a few months. I have often stayed six months with the same boy.

Pacadis: Do you prefer to be with young boys?

Burroughs: Between 18 and 25 years old. I do not like boys too young.

Pacadis: In New York, you live in an apartment…

Burroughs: I live in a loft on the Bowery, eight blocks from St Mark’s Place. I love this part of New York, near Little Italy, Chinatown.

Pacadis: Do you like living in New York?

Burroughs: Yes, it is an extraordinary city but extremely dangerous. I can’t imagine living anywhere else. I live on the Bowery which is a dangerous neighborhood and I only travel by subway. I always have three weapons on me: a cane, brass knuckles, and a can of tear gas. If I am attacked, I quickly take out a weapon, and in general the person, seeing that I am determined, runs away. So far I have not had to use my weapons. One day a guy attacked me on a street corner. He wanted money and said he had a revolver in his pocket. I touched his jacket and saw that he had nothing. I took out my tear gas and he ran off. When I walk in New York, I always have my weapons on me. Nothing can happen to me. A can of tear gas costs only three dollars and it can come in handy. Everyone should have one. I tell all my friends.

Pacadis: You have to take the plane tomorrow morning for New York, you like to travel a lot?

Burroughs: Yes a lot, I come to Europe three or four times a year to sign contracts or give readings. I’ll be back in a month…

Original interview published in French in Le Paradis Magazine 5 (1981). Posted to RealityStudio on 18 November 2017.

Brak komentarzy:

Prześlij komentarz

Punk Bands: Red Lights aka The Rats

    Red Lights aka The Rats " RATS/RED LIGHTS and some PITIFUL behaviour . . . " More PITIFUL history …….. I find myself once more...